Big Chicken

My Mii Poised for Take Off
It's been about 2 1/2 months since I recommitted to exercise and to losing weight (read all about it in Me and My Mii.    I may not have lost much weight but it sure has been amusing and I do feel better.

First things first, Zumba and me (at least the Wii version of Zumba) did not turn out to be the best of friends.  I should have known.  If my knees were too old for Jazzercize in my 20s, why would I think Zumba would be good for me in my 50s?

Second things second, I am no longer obese according to my talking balance board.  Woo hoo!  Slow going but some progress.


Flapping as Hard as I can
The question is whether it is worth giving up white flour and white sugar -- except for the occasional chocolate chip cookie and dinner out.   Perhaps more importantly, is the relatively slow progress on the weight loss a sign that I should be eating more?  Maggie (who has been cutting my hair for over a decade (I think)) posited that this was the case.  She's lost 8 lbs on Weight Watchers and often gets to have a beer at the end of the day to get to 29 -- her magic point number for the day.  I actually had the most weight loss when I was eating aforesaid chocolate chip cookie a day.  Hmm, food for thought.

Third things third.  I have to hand it to Nintendo -- the games in the Wii Fit Plus are challenging and amusing all at the same time.  How can I not laugh at the sight of my Mii dressed up in a big chicken costume (but still sporting sunglasses!) flying from target to target on my own little course?  And, unlike me, my Mii always stretches before taking off for a flight!  A good habit that I should acquire.

San Andreas Fault
I like the fact that the Wii games are things that I've always wished I could do in real life.  How cool would it be if we could all fly -- just flap our arms  and take off for parts unknown.   Just think, no plane ticket to buy, no security line to wait in, and no tiny little economy class seat to squeeze myself into.  Just me, a little back pack for my essentials (jammies, glasses, contacts, passport, a change of clothes, and money).  Maybe a Watch-sized GPS so I wouldn't get lost.

I'd spend every weekend exploring other parts of the country -- nay the world.  At this time of year, it's fall in New England so maybe a flight up the Atlantic coast for some leaf peeping.  And a night tucked away in some cozy beachfront inn with the sound of the waves to lull me to sleep.  I'd start the next day with two eggs over easy, a side of bacon, and a nice hot cup o' coffee before beginning the long journey home.  This time flying inland and stopping mid-day for some apples and cheese.

Now this is what REAL Flight Looks Like
Marshall Eagle Taking Off, Tanzania
On vacations, I could venture a bit further.  Winter will soon follow fall -- time to think about warmer climes.  I wonder what the folks in Fiji would think of me coming in for a soft landing on some deserted beach?  It's a long flight so I think worthy of a 2 hour massage followed by a nap on the beach and topped off with a lovely meal.  Of course because the trip was so long -- I could eat all the white flour and sugar that I want for the next two weeks!

Maybe someday we'll be able to just flap our arms and fly -- evolution has produced stranger things.  In the meantime, I'll fly around my little island kingdom dressed as a giant chicken -- it is a very amusing way to end a workout session.

Comments