Short Burst: October Snow


The morning after the storm
There was a rare snowstorm on October 29th -- a nor'easter with lots of wet snow.  Enough wet snow to take out 1,000 trees in New York's Central Park and leave swaths of the northeast without power for days.  In Farmington, CT -- where my Mom now lives -- the power is still out.  Her assisted living facility has two generators going and reports that all residents are doing OK.

I took a short stroll in Central Park during the height of the storm.  I could hear the crack of the trees as branches big and small snapped off.  It felt a bit like I was a storm chaser -- you know those people who chase tornadoes across the mid-West -- except there was no speeding car or fancy equipment.  Just me, other walkers, and some intrepid runners making our way through a quiet Central Park.  Good to know I wasn't the only idiot who thought a jaunt in the park as branches were falling was a good thing.

The storm didn't pile much snow on the Park (about 3 inches I think) but it was a wet snow on top of lots of leaves still on the trees.  The estimate is that 1,000 trees were lost and the areas of the Park not in play for   the New York City marathon are still littered with branches.
The day after the storm there was still snow on the ground in shady spots -- a fitting background for the leaves and branches that were strewn about.  Not quite the fall foliage adventure I was expecting that day -- yet there was a certain beauty amid the destruction.  And despite a loss of limbs and leaves, my favorite Ginkgoa -- scattered across the West side of the park -- are still standing. 

Perfectly Paired
Starting to Melt
Bow Tie


Storm Damage
Ice Leave

Comments