Special Effects & Crowds

Crowd Control #crowdcontrol #holidays #besttimeoftheyear #nyc ©2014 Nancy Lundebjerg
Crowd Control
 ©2014 Nancy Lundebjerg
I am watching the Voice finale (I guess it's #theVoice finale if I were speaking #hashtag) and realized that there is a reason why I have not seen Lady Gaga or Madonna in concert.  I just don't get the special effects -- seriously, do we really need flames shooting up on stage?  Having said that, I'd be happy if any of the four finalists wins.

That was the special effects part of this post.

Two Friends Loose in the City #twofriendslooseinthecity  #holidays #besttimeoftheyear #nyc ©2014 Nancy Lundebjerg
Two Friends Loose in the City
 ©2014 Nancy Lundebjerg
The crowds part, as you probably guessed, is about how crowded NYC gets at the holiday season. Particularly mid-town.  This point is particularly driven home if you take a minute (or two as is often the case when lined up to cross the street) to listen to what's going on around you.  Take these loosely transcribed (as in:  OK I did not write them down as I heard them) snippets of conversation overheard while trying to escape Times Square after a Saturday matinee:

  • Women on Phone:  "Umm it's a busy city."
  • 4 of ? women:  "Go check in the street.'  "While, he'll just need to drive around the block if he missed us." "Are we sure we are in the right place?" "Why is she out in the street."  "Did you text him?"
  • Man Stopping Pedestrian Traffic at a Parking Garage Driveway:  "Please stop" (to the pedestrian).  Just go, go, go (or a variation thereof) to his wife, girlfriend, mother driving the car.  
It's a little worrisome to think that some one's only experience of NYC may be the very crowded environs of Times Square or the scrum of the Christmas Tree at Rockefeller Center (or #RockCenterTree if I was speaking in #hashtags).  This may sound weird from me (as I do like my quiet spaces), but I just hope that our holiday visitors venture out a bit form the center of our fair city during the time they spend with us.  

First Tour of the Day #FirstTouroftheDay  #holidays #besttimeoftheyear #nyc ©2014 Nancy Lundebjerg
First Tour of the Day
 ©2014 Nancy Lundebjerg
#6:  An Enchanted Experience :: 4 (Snow White)
#7:  Phoenix Rising
#8:  On Phoenix Wings
#9:  The Cathedral Church of Saint John the Divine
#10: Send in the Chairs
#11: An Enchanted Experience :: 5 (Little Red Riding Hood)
#12: Red Ornaments
#13: Radio City All Decked Out
#14: Statue of Liberty
#15: Lights and Ornaments

Comments