Behind the Pins

Gingko (Central Park)
This week, I've been happily pinning to my 2012 Olympics Moments, a Board I created over on  Pinterest.  Since I last blogged about Pinterest, my enthusiasm has waxed and waned.

There are things I like:
  • It's easier than clipping things out of magazines/newspapers and filing them away.
  • There are a lot of people out there collecting really cool things and organizing them using Pinterest.
  • It's a perfect way to keep track of something like the Olympics.
And things that I don't like:
  • Pins that lead nowhere (you know, a photo of a really cool place with no comment as to where it is and if you click on the pin, you just get a bigger version of the picture); 
  • Pins that lead nowh...... oh, I said that already.  Sorry.
  • The copyright policy (it got better but it's not great).
  • The sometimes insane focus of the social media world on Pinterest as a tool for building your brand.
  • Pins that lead...
A Rose is a Rose
Nowhere.

Yes, fellow pinners, I find it a bit disconcerting when I click on your pin only to find that it leads to just a larger image of the image on your pin.  It's like choosing Door #3 on Let's Make a Deal (I miss Monty Hall) and having the prize be a lemonade stand.  I like pins that lead me somewhere and that teach me something.  A disclaimer, I do have a Board, New York City Windows, that likely will end up with a lot of images leading nowhere given it's my quick snaps of store windows along 5th avenue -- generally with my iPhone or Lytro.

As for my 2012 Olympic Moments Board, I've been exercising my inner sports commentator on that one for the past week.  It's been fun and a hell of a lot easier than training for -- and being in -- the Olympics!

Comments